John and I just returned from an amazing 10th Wedding Anniversary Trip. First we went to Utah where Jamie's baby, Elise Isaacson, received her name and blessing on April 18th in American Fork. Her daddy, Dennis, gave her a beautiful blessing. We also were privileged to meet Hailey's special boyfriend, Blake, from Malad, Idaho, and I might add, we were quite impressed with him. Of course, Hailey would have good taste!!! She is such a sweet young woman and is attending BYU! Just moved into her first apartment with roommates which is a new experience! The family all gathered round as we enjoyed a concert at the Isaacson home. They always play the piano, guitar, violin, etc. and sing for us. The children have beautiful voices; Hailey and Billy both play the piano by ear. We always enjoy their entertainment. John David and Wanita Bills family also came to the baby blessing from Idaho. Many of Dennis' family were there also and we had a nice time with them. On the Saturday prior to the blessing, we had pizza in the park with Jamie and the children. They are so much fun to visit with. Jamie has been home schooling them this year along with being pregnant. Kristin and Sarah were so helpful around the house and with the younger children while we were there. It was great to see! Rachel is right there with them, too. Billy and Danny are such cute little boys and look so much alike...its almost like seeing Billy grow up twice! Stephen is serving a mission in California at this time. We love getting his email letters.
While we were in Utah, we stayed at Suzanne and Tracy Atkinson's home even though they were not there. They were in Boston where Tracy was running in the Boston Marathon along with my son, Greg Murphy. The whole family got to go. We tended their animals for three days. Sure was weird to be there without Suzanne, though! Shaddy went straight to Tara's room looking for her...but no Tara. At night, she slept right outside Tara's door hoping her favorite child would return, but alas, that did not happen.
On Monday, April 19, I had arranged with the Church History Museum for a viewing of a woolen cloak made by John's ancestor, John Bills, in Nauvoo, Illinois, for the Prophet Joseph Smith. John's sisters, Karren and Patti, along with Dave--Patti's husband; and Jamie's family all came to the museum to see the cloak and take pictures of it. What a wonderful experience this was for us. It was a sacred time for me to actually see and be so near something our Prophet wore. It was a double-layer wool cloak so would have been nice and warm. Comforting to our prophet on cold days and nights. The work was all done by hand, of course, and the wool would have been carded by hand also. Just to be there, to see it, to feel the spirit, and to imagine John Bills lovingly sewing it for the prophet -- well, it was a very special experience in my book. My ancestors also loved the prophet and may have even been with him when he wore this cloak. It is a connection and I was filled with awe to have this experience. My deepest desire is for our children and grandchildren to know and love their heritage and to come to know the gospel that so many of our ancestors sacrificed so much for!
From Utah, we came back home for two nights so John could teach his scout merit badge pow wow class on the family living merit badge. Those boys who took his class will never know how devoted and dedicated their teacher was to them!!! As he prepared for each class he taught, he should have earned the merit badge himself. He is a true scouter and he loves the young boys he works with! I can not even imagine the number of boys he has influenced for good through scouting and fishing! He has made such a difference in so many lives.
We left Wednesday for Missoula, Montana. Our wedding anniversary was Thursday and John rented a very nice motel room at the ComeonInn! It was amazing and a very nice place to spend our anniversary. These ten years of marriage have been a wonderful experience for each of us. Our love and appreciation for one another continues to grow as time goes on. It is such a blessing that we do not have to face this age alone when so many things are falling apart on our bodies....like our eyes, knees, backs, hips, etc. It would be a lonely life without each other's companionship!
Thursday we went to Coeur d'Alene where Bryan and Loralee Bean had a time-share condo reserved. They insisted we take the master suite which was much larger and nicer than any motel I've ever stayed in. The condo had three nice bedrooms, a kitchen and family room and a patio with a barbeque grill. Bryan spoiled us with marvelous breakfasts and a grilled steak dinner one night. We had so much fun with Bryan, Loralee, and the children.
I can't say enough about Michael and Lexie. He is 4 years old and Lexie is barely 7. They are incredible. Bryan and Loralee say that Lexie is a gifted teacher and teaches Michael everything she knows; Lexie told us that now Michael knows things she doesn't even know..and that he can spell words she doesn't know how to spell. He reads at a 3rd grade level or more and never has to stop to sound out a word. He can spell perfectly and is a master of numbers....even in Spanish as well as English. Lexie and Michael spell lots of words as they play and if she doesn't spell fast enough, he will jump in and tell her the next letters. She is just finishing up first grade and reads like a pro, too. Michael starts kindergarten this fall. One scarcely notices his cerebral palsy unless it is with his fine motor skills and he is very good at adapting to his challenges. We spent time in the pool together and Lexie learned to overcome some of her fear of the water. She and I had so much fun as I helped her "learn to swim." We read many books, played with silly putty, and played game after game. We sent Bryan and Loralee out one evening while we stayed with the children and had a super time. One afternoon, John went to Cabela's with them while I kept the children with me. It was super bonding time...something I don't get when the entire family is around. I adore my grandchildren (and John's too!)!!! This generation has the best, sweetest, purest, kindest, smartest, and most beautiful children I have ever seen. How I pray for them! How I love them!!! One thing that impresses me so much about Bryan is the kind and loving father and husband he is toward his family. I could never have hoped for more. I marvel that he is this way because it is not the way fatherhood was modeled for him. I thank God every day that my sons are good husbands and fathers....I am so thankful my grandchildren are not having to deal with abusive parents!!!! I am thankful for the kind of mother my daughter and step-daughters are. I think they all got great spouses and have really risen above the things they experienced as children. Prayers are answered!!!!!
It does my heart good to know that Bryan sings to his daughter every night, "I Am A Child of God." When he was gone, she asked me to sing it to her. She said she can't go to sleep without that song! Loralee said her mother used to sing it to her, also. Bryan said he started singing it when Grandma Harmon was dying and he was teaching it to her so she could sing it with the other grandchildren at the funeral. He has done it ever since.
We left to come home on Sunday. We are thankful for this special anniversary trip even though the weather was cold and nasty, our experience was sunshine to our souls!
Grandma, this is great. It will be fun to hear about all your adventures this summer. I'm glad you got to spend some good one on one time with Bryan, Loralee and especially Michael and Lexie. They are such good kids. I wish we/they lived closer so Kathryn could see them more. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI love blogging! I find it a good way to keep a journal and also let family know what's going on. Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the club. Love ya mom!
ReplyDelete